Friday, March 16, 2012

Rhino Camp

*Just a note that I've been having a bit of trouble with my distribution list, please sign up to follow the blog or get an email each time I post at www.reckoningwithwanderlust.blogspot.com

Here is a conversation I had the other day that just boggled my mind.

Researcher 1: I like the name of Rhino Camp [a small city/large town] in Uganda. It is easy for both Ugandas and foreigners to say.

Me: Very true, they would not say it wrongly. Are there rhinos in Rhino Camp?

Researcher 2: There used to be, it was a game preserve. But then Idi Amin's soldiers ate them all.

Me: What? They ate all the rhinos?

Researcher 2: Yes, the government was cutting off their food, so many of the soldiers ran there and they ate all the white rhinos, so there are none there.

Me: All like [researcher 3] said he likes to eat hippo? I wonder if rhino is delicious...

                                            (a hippo in a swampy place next to the Nile)

Researcher 2: I'm not sure, I've never tried.

Researcher 1: But they call it camp, because after they turned it into a refugee camp.

Researcher 2: yes, yes, for people from South Sudan

Researcher 1: And Congo [DRC] too.

Me: So it was a game preserve, but then the rhinos got eaten by soldiers, then they turned it into a refugee camp, but now it is just a town?

Researcher 2: Yes, now they love love to eat cassava there, they love to eat cassava too much [very much]!




No comments:

Post a Comment